Pick Your Own Group Outings
Great for family events, birthday parties, summer camp, day care and school groups!
All crops are subject to availability. Dates are approximate. Weather conditions and demand determine the supply of our crops.
HOW IT WORKS – 2016 PICK YOUR OWN GROUP OUTINGS
- Group Outings include meeting a farmer in a reserved field and learning about our farm and crops, picking the crop of the season, and a private, 20-minute tractor-driven wagon ride. You are also welcome to stay and share our picnic area and enjoy your own lunches, ride our giant slides, race the rubber ducky derby, and play on the wooden play structures.
- Pick Your Own Group Outings are for groups of at least 20 people; summer camps, day care and school groups, friendly get-togethers, church or civic outings, mom’s groups, birthday parties, etc.
- Although the minimum size for a private Pick Your Own Group Outing with a hayride is 20 people, our fields are also open to the public and you do not have to be a member of a large group to pick at Butler’s Orchard. Individuals and smaller groups are welcome to come anytime during our seasonal picking hours. Please visit the Pick Your Own page of our website for more information.
- 2016 dates and times for Pick Your Own Group Outings:
- June 1 through September 23
- Tuesdays through Fridays
- 9:30 am – 3:30 pm
- Reservation times are every half hour beginning at 9:30 am (i.e., 10:00am, 10:30am, 11:00am…)
- The last reservation of the day is at 3:30pm
- The fee is $8.75 per person, including all children and adults. Under one is free. We do not offer any special pricing.
- A farmer will meet with your group to talk about the farm and the fruit you will pick. Each person picks one pint of one type of fresh berry or vegetable, a one quart container of beautiful flowers, or one bag of apples or potatoes. All crops are subject to availability. Dates are approximate. Weather conditions and demand determine the supply of our crops.
- June-Strawberries or Blueberries
- July-Blueberries, Blackberries, Flowers or Potatoes
- August-Blackberries, Flowers, Raspberries, Apples, Potatoes, Cherry Tomatoes, or Peppers
- We suggest you allow at least 2 hours to fully enjoy your day on the farm.
- Online reservations may be made via the link at the bottom of this page. No payment is necessary when making your reservation. You will receive an email confirming your reservation. We will contact you again by telephone a few days prior to your visit to review the details of your tour.
- You will pay the day of your event for the final number of people in your group. Minimum due = $175 (20 people @ $8.75 each). You may use cash, school check, or MasterCard/VISA. Please collect all money in advance and make one payment for your group.
- Billing: If your group requires an invoice for a check request from a central office, please contact our office at 301-428-0444 as soon as you make your reservation. We will respond as quickly as possible so your check can be ready by the day of your event. Any refunds are processed through our office only. The refund check will be sent to the issuing institution to the address on the check. Please allow 1 week to 10 days to receive refunds.
- Please plan to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled start time. Have your group leader check in and pay at our Farm Market. Your group will then be led to the field where you will all park together and start your picking.
Special Note for Groups Arriving by Bus:
Busses should approach Butler’s Orchard via Route 27 directly to Davis Mill Road. Map and directions are on our website at ButlersOrchard.com.
(There is a steep, hairpin turn coming from the other direction and every year busses get stuck.) PLEASE share this information with your bus driver.
- After everyone has finished picking, your group (in your vehicles) will be led to our picnic area where you will park. Your tractor-driven wagon ride will pick you up in the picnic area, take you on a beautiful 20-minute drive around the farm, and return you to the picnic area.
- You are then welcome to stay and enjoy your own lunches at our picnic tables, climb on the wooden play structures, slide down our giant slides, and play on our large grassy picnic grounds.
- Please bring your own drinks and snacks or lunch and enjoy our picnic area. Our Farm Market is open with snacks and beverages; we do not serve lunch, however.
- Please dress appropriately for the weather and a day on the farm. Bring sunscreen and bottled water if it is expected to be very warm. In cooler weather, remember a light jacket or sweater.
- Please call us at 301-428-0444 if:
- Your group has special needs of any kind. We can discuss any accommodations you may require.
- You need to adjust or cancel your reservation
- There is any doubt about the weather. Our barns have a roof and our wagons are covered, but if it is too wet we are happy to help you reschedule.
- You have lost something on the farm. Please note that Butler’s Orchard is not responsible for lost items.
- Service animals only, please.
- The farm has portable restrooms.