Strawberry Blossom Tours take place when the strawberry plants are in blossom. Each person gets a strawberry plant to grow at home. Your group will not be picking strawberries. Strawberry Blossom Tours are an enjoyable, educational spring field trip for children preschool through third grade. Students can experience a working farm; see how food is planted and grown; learn about honeybees and native pollinators; and enjoy a hands-on planting activity.
HOW IT WORKS
- 2018 dates & times: May 1 through May 11, 2018 Tuesday through Friday mornings
- 10:00 am reservations are for groups of 20 or more
- 11:30 am Reservations for small groups or families (no minimum group size required)
- The fee is $9.00 per person, including all children and all teachers/chaperones. Children under twelve months are free unless they want a strawberry plant. We do not offer any special pricing. Strawberry Blossom Tours are divided into stations and each small group will rotate through all the stations in about 1-1/2 hours. Groups will pay the day of your visit. You may use cash, school check, or MasterCard/VISA. Please collect all money in advance and make one payment for your group.
- Tractor-driven wagon ride blossom tour of the farm with guide
- Pollination Station with observation hive
- Learn about our barnyard buddies – Charlie the pig, chicks, goats, and donkeys
- See the strawberry life cycle
- Suzy Strawberry felt board story
- Plant a strawberry plant to take home
- Picnic / Playtime is an additional ½ hour before or after your program depending on your reservation time.
10:00 am reservation- programming begins at 10:00am, picnic/play time is at 11:30 am
11:30 am reservation- picnic/play at 11:30 am, programming starts at 12 Noon and runs until 1:30 pm
Billing: If your group requires an invoice for a check request please contact our office at 301-428-0444 as soon as you make your reservation. Refunds are processed through our office only. The refund check will be sent to the issuing institution to the address on the check. Please allow 1 week to 10 days to receive refunds.
Special Note for Groups Arriving by Bus:
Busses should approach Butler’s Orchard via Route 27 directly to Davis Mill Road. (There is a steep, hairpin turn coming from Brink Road and every year busses get stuck.) PLEASE share this information with your bus driver.
- Please bring your own snacks or lunch for the picnic/play time portion of your day on the farm.
- Please dress appropriately for the weather and a day on the farm. Bring sunscreen and bottled water if it is expected to be very warm. In cooler weather, remember a light jacket or sweater.
- Special Needs Groups: Please call us at 301-428-0444 if your group has special needs of any kind so we can discuss potential accommodations.
- Strawberry Blossom Tours TO GO (Seasonal upon availability. 48 hours’ notice required). A great alternative if you are unable to make a trip to the Farm, or you are unable to re-schedule because of bad weather. Price is $4/person, please call for details.
Please call us at 301-428-0444 if:
- You need to adjust or cancel your reservation.
- There is any doubt about the weather. Strawberry Blossom tours can go rain or shine, but if it is too wet we are happy to help you reschedule.
- If you have lost something on the farm. Please note that Butler’s Orchard is not responsible for lost items.
Service animals only, please.
The farm has portable restrooms.